Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Our Bodies, Ourselves Campaign

Recently, I have found myself fairly infuriated by all the rhetoric coming from old white men in political power telling me about my own body.  Like they have a clue what it's like to have your rights infringed upon because of your sex.  But what really makes me angry is that they are using bad science and bad theology to do it.  Rape is a deplorable, heinous crime and I listened to a politician today telling me that if I am ever impregnated by a rape that it is a blessing from God.  That is really bad theology, friend and it is a really patronizing way for you to tell me that everything is going to be fine because you are going to make my decisions for me.  Just so all the people out there know, that is not okay.  It is not okay for you as an older white man to tell me with tears in your eyes that you are convinced that should I ever get raped AND pregnant that that is God's intention.  I'm sure that soon I will be hearing that children all over the world dying from preventable diseases while Americans struggle with obesity is also God's divine will and intention.  Give me a break.  Right now I feel like if I hear another politician tell me something horrendously stupid about rape, abortion, sex education, or birth control, I may run for office myself on the most crazy-liberal platform.  Maybe I'll ask Dennis Kucinich if I can be his running mate in the next election.  

Anyways, all that to say that the amazing people at Our Bodies, Ourselves have created a campaign that will send copies of the iconic book Our Bodies, Ourselves to every congressional office so that they no longer have the excuse of being uninformed politicians.  (Did they really have that right anyway, to be uninformed politicians talking about my fallopian tubes and how they will legislate what I can and cannot do and what medication I can and cannot have?  Grrr...) It's a great cause and even if you don't contribute, make sure that you VOTE on November 6th.  

This is a great PSA that you should watch if you can find a few free minutes in your day: "You Don't Own Me" PSA.

I know that this is a little angrier than I usually am, and I know I am coming off pretty crass, but this is a really important issue for me and I think it should be a really important issue for all women and all men.  The equality of women and the legislation crackdown on abortion, birth control, sex education, and rape and the rhetoric surrounding all of them are extremely important for all of us.  If you have any questions as to why feminism is still an issue, please watch this video.

No comments:

Post a Comment