Friday, October 12, 2012

In Defense of Disney Princesses: Introduction



Many people seems to love talking about how terrible the Disney Princess Franchise is for feminism, society, blah, blah.  Believe me, as a Women’s and Gender Studies major, I am constantly subjected to how backwards and submissive the lovely princesses are.  I have an issue with this for a few reasons.  I think that many times we get so angry that we forget the good qualities of whatever it is we are hating on in that particular moment.  I do it all the time.  Somebody says something about certain religious figures or about certain political leaders/ideas and I immediately say all the bad/wrong things about the person or idea just mentioned, without considering the positive aspects of them/it.  

Therefore, I would like to take a little time to do a short series that looks at the princess movies and the princesses themselves from a more positive viewpoint while still acknowledging the less than desirable aspects of them.  I will do them in chronological order from Snow White to Rapunzel, remaining within the Disney Princess canon.  This would include Snow White (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs), Cinderella (Cinderella), Aurora/Briar Rose (Sleeping Beauty), Ariel (The Little Mermaid), Belle (Beauty and the Beast), Jasmine (Aladdin), Pocahontas (Pocahontas), Mulan (Mulan), Tiana (The Princess and the Frog), and Rapunzel (Tangled).  Hopefully, I will write about Alice (Alice in Wonderland), Wendy (Peter Pan), Esmeralda (The Hunchback of Notre Dame) and Meg (Hercules) at some point, but they don’t really fit into what I’m doing with this series.  
This is not to purposefully anger or enrage anybody, but to illustrate the way we interact with people, culture, and ideas.  No one is going to agree with anyone else 100% of the time, so we really have to be intentional in how we start dialogue.  In my experience, people love disagreeing with each other as long as everyone’s voice is heard and everyone is respected.  I hope that by doing this series, I can show the importance of listening to less than popular or loved opinions in order to create a more harmonious world.

**Pocket Princesses by Amy Mebberson.  Her tumblr is here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment